CANGC Members: If you would like your job opening posted on this page, please email a complete job description along with instructions on submitting an application to email@example.com
Fowler Nurseries, Inc. - Greenhouse and Propogation Manager, Newcastle
Directs and coordinates activities of the Greenhouse and Containers Department in propagating and producing plant materials for field and container use and producing container-grown trees for commercial growers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
A four year degree in horticulture or related field is required. Masters degree is a plus. Must have at least four (4) years of similar experience.
Must be able to read, write, understand and communicate English clearly, effectively and efficiently at a level that is understood by audience (including, but not limited to, staff, customers, tour groups and other colleagues). Spanish is a plus.
Must be able to collect, analyze and summarize collected data.
Able to make determinations based on collected data. Able to work well with others and reason through decisions and conflicts. Use practical application of data.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
PCA license is a plus.
Valid driver's license and approval of coverage through Fowler Nurseries, Inc.'s insurance company.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must be able to work in hot and cold conditions. Able to walk greenhouse, containers, nursery and orchard grounds. Able to reach and bend. Able to carry up to fifty (50) pounds, as occasionally needed. Able to use hands for tasks such as pruning, planting, picking up, detailed work, computer work, etc. Able to stand for several hours at a time as occasionally needed, such as when at grower sites or meetings. Must be able to distinguish colors and color variations.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Greenhouse and Propagation Manager will be outside for most of the day - this includes, but is not limited to, being in the greenhouses, cold frames, container department, in nursery and orchard blocks, on uneven ground/surfaces, dust, mud, walking hills/steep inclines, variable outside temperatures including high-heat and freezing temperatures, and able to withstand other weather related conditions (wind, rain, etc.). Occasional noisy conditions (tractors, machinery, etc).
Inside conditions will vary with the type of covering the Manager is under - typically will include greenhouse, warehouse and office type settings.
**Please send resume and cover letter to FowlerNurseries@gmail.com**
Wegman's Nursery - Nursery Sales Position,
- Reviews production orders or schedules to ascertain product data such as types, quantities, and specifications of products and scheduled delivery dates in order to plan department operations.
- Plans production operations, establishing priorities and sequences for propagation and production activities.
- Reviews production and operating reports and resolves operational and production problems to ensure minimum costs and prevent operational delays.
- Develops or revises standard operational and working practices and observes workers to ensure compliance with standards.
- Resolves worker grievances or submits unsettled grievances to Human Resources Department for action.
- Compiles, stores, and retrieves production data.
- Produce hardwood and softwood rootstock cuttings from mother plant material.
- Determine plant growing conditions, set up planting and care procedures and schedules.
- Manage the movement of the materials in and out of the facilities, inventory levels and other specific information for that material (ie parentage).
- Assist in long-term planning of greenhouse and container department.
- Perform timing, growing and material/product trials.
- Collect, compile and report results from trials to appropriate personnel and update databases.
- Manage staff - schedules, tasks, training, etc.
- Attend regular meetings with the other Production Managers.
- Insure phytosanitary procedures are updated and implemented.
- Manage plant health through irrigation, nutrition and spray programs.
- Manage and maintain infrastructure for greenhouse and container department.
- Identify plants as well as problems, such as mixes, diseases and insect pests.
Wegman’s Nursery, the Peninsula’s premier retail garden center, has a nursery sales position open. We are looking for a friendly and experienced full-time nursery sales person who is motivated and a self-starter. Since providing excellent customer service is the hallmark of Wegman’s Nursery, applicants should be passionate about helping customers. If you enjoy gardening and are responsible, energetic, and customer-service oriented then our nursery is the place for you.
The primary focus of this position is to assist customers in selecting garden products. A CCNP designation is desirable; however, an applicant with a horticultural education or plant knowledge will also be considered. Our nursery sales professional should be comfortable working outside year round. Sales experience is a plus.
When not helping customers, other duties may include deadheading, watering, pruning, weeding, and generally keeping the nursery neat, clean, and stocked. The position requires lifting and moving plant material and other products. Weekend work may be required.
Wegman’s Nursery offers medical and dental insurance with full-time employment. We also offer paid time off for vacation and sick pay in accordance with California law. If you would like to become one of our dedicated team members, please fill out our employment application and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax it to (650) 368-5908, or drop it at the nursery. You can find out more about us at www.wegmansnursery.com.
UC Davis - Horticulturist and Landscape Architect, Davis
Both positions below will be part of a larger team working to make the campus landscape more beautiful, sustainable, engaging, and reflective of the unique academic work of UC Davis. We're looking for creative and energetic people who will enjoy collaborating with diverse partners and mentoring UC Davis students.
The GATEways Horticulturist position
will work on the UC Davis Arboretum and Public Garden team and focus on the creation, renovation, and care of Arboretum plant collections and GATEways academic engagement gardens. In addition to collaborating with a variety of faculty, staff, and community members, this position will lead volunteer groups and mentor student interns. The application period for this position closes on March 16.
For a complete job description and more information on how to apply:
The Assistant Landscape Architect
position will work in the Campus Planning and Landscape Architecture unit designing, coordinating, and reviewing plans for landscapes across the UC Davis campus. The application period for this position closes on March 13.
For a complete job description and more information on how to apply:
Assistant Merchant - Orchard Supply Hardware, San Jose
Orchard Supply Hardware is looking for an Assistant Merchant to play a critical role in growing our business by serving customers in ways that leave them feeling inspired to share their experience with friends and family along with driving profitable sales in their assigned category. The Assistant Merchant is responsible and accountable for supporting the operational functions of Merchandising working directly for the Director of Merchandising in a specific category of business. The Assistant Merchant will support executing the merchandising strategy through customer intimacy and operational excellence. They will embrace cross-functional partnerships with Field teams, Supply Chain, Marketing, Visual Merchandising, Operations, Store Planning, and other areas of the company to drive for results.
Core roles and responsibilities:
Manages the new items set-up process which includes:
- Working directly with suppliers to obtain all required data for the new item creation process
- Ensures all appropriate approvals have been received prior to finalizing the set-up process
- Ensures data is accurate prior to entry into the mainframe
- Reviews all data entered into the mainframe and makes any corrections as required
- In partnership with their Director of Merchandising/Merchant establishes opening order and allocation with Replenishment team
- Requests product samples as required
- Provides product information to the Visual Merchandising team for planogram update and/or creation
- Responsible for the execution of promotional plans for the assigned category:
- Assist in the creation of the monthly promotional planning
- Reviews all ad proofs and checks availability of product
- Communicates issues to the Director of Merchandising, Merchant, Marketing, and Inventory Planning
- Schedules unadvertised events with the Director of Merchandising and works with Merchandising Operations on execution of the event
- Requests product samples as required by marketing
- Writes ad copy for product items as required
- Maintains all supplier records and files (both hard copy and electronic) for the assigned category which includes:
- Ensuring we have the most up to date contact information for suppliers on file, make updates as required
- Communication and follow-up on any required Orchard supplier documentation
- If required, communicates any supplier changes to the appropriate internal organizations
- Manages the Purchase Agreement (PA) process for the assigned category:
- At the direction of the Director of Merchandising or Merchant, completes the terms portion of the PA Agreement form and sends to the vendor for signature
- Ensures document is returned by the vendor in a timely manner
- Submits the document to Accounting for deduction and follows through to ensure deduction was taken at the appropriate time
- Manages item/pricing maintenance for existing items:
- Makes updates to system as required
- Creates analysis for price changes for review
- Upon final price change approval, ensures new pricing is entered into the system at the appropriate time
- For large price changes, works with Merchandising Operations on creating appropriate communication to the stores
- Manages the markdown process for the assigned category:
- Partners with Merchandising on establishment of a plan for markdowns
- Communicates the markdown plan to the appropriate cross-functional groups
- Coordination of the line review process:
- Communicates with suppliers regarding the details of the line review
- Works side by side with Merchandising during the review
- 2-year college degree is preferred or equivalent experience
- 2-4 years experience in a support capacity preferably for a retail company in merchandising or equivalent field, prior retail store management or buying experience is a plus
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work in a high stress environment that includes regular changes in priorities and direction
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word
- Positive demeanor
- High energy
Please appy by clicking on the link below:
Assistant Merchant - Nursery Role
Production Yard Manager - Belmont Nursery - Fresno
To grow and care for quality plant material and to supervise maintenance of a clean, neat facility in support of our annual sales goal.
Jon Reelhorn (President)
: Production Grower, Plant Health Supervisor
: Facility production staff
- Perform various aspects of nursery fieldwork, including pruning, watering, fertilizing, staking, weeding, consolidating and placement of plants in the field.
- Perform maintenance on all aspects of the yard, including irrigation repairs, planting machine maintenance, and overall maintenance of the production yard structures.
- Advise the Plant Health Supervisor of pest and disease issues in the production yard. Spray herbicides/pesticides as needed.
- Supervise and implement the watering in the production yards coordinating with the other staff members.
- Supervise fertilizer application in the production yard working in unison with the Production Grower.
- Supervise planting crew, proper technique and procedures on the planting machine and implement proper placement of plants in the nursery after planting.
- Document changes in availability of plant material (ready date changes, dumps, cutbacks) and forward them to the Inventory Control Specialist.
- Coordinate and perform delivery transfers to and from other facilities.
- Coordinate receiving of plant material from outside growers, assuring proper paperwork flow to the office.
- Tour the nursery each morning to pick up fallen plants and to spot problem areas.
- Keep nursery free of weeds, litter, and clutter.
- Support will call orders and customers when needed.
- Other duties as necessary.
Salary dependent upon experience. Apply in person at 7730 E. Belmont Ave., Fresno, CA 93737. No phone calls please.
Nursery Sales and Support Positions – Orchard Nursery and Florist – Lafayette, CA
Full-time or Part-time
$14.50 - $18 per hour
Full Medical, Dental, Vision and Paid Time Off for Full-time/Year-round employees
- Helps customers to find plants and answers questions about their gardening projects
- Answers plant and pest/disease questions in person and over the phone
- Greets customers throughout the nursery yard
- Stocks, waters, and maintains plant displays
- Helps with the receiving of new plant materials
- Helps customers out to their cars
- Possesses very strong horticultural knowledge for the Northern California Region
- Can identify most garden center plants by their common AND botanical names
- Must be able and willing to work outside rain or shine
- Must be able and willing to lift 50 lbs (and 75 lbs on occasion) and twist, bend, squat, etc. repetitively throughout the day
- Must work well in a team
- Must be self-motivated and love gardening
- Must be able and willing to work weekends
Please respond via email only to email@example.com and include a brief cover letter explaining why you want to work at Orchard Nursery as well as your top 5 favorite plants. Please also attach your Resume. We look forward to hearing from you!
$11 - $14 per hour
Full Medical, Dental, Vision and Paid Time Off for Full-time/Year-round employees
- Unloading plants from trucks
- Receiving and pricing incoming plant material
- Stocking new plant material out in the nursery
- General Plant Care (primarily watering)
- Helping customers out to their cars
- Sweeping and heavy lifting throughout the nursery
- Must be able and willing to work outside rain or shine (and heat in the summer)
- Must be able and willing to lift 50 lbs (and up to 75 lbs on occasion) repeatedly throughout an 8 hour day
- Must be able and willing to bend, twist and squat repeatedly throughout an 8 hour day
- Must work well in a team
- Must be passionate about plants and gardening, have some basic plant knowledge, and be a quick learner
Please respond via email only to firstname.lastname@example.org
and include a brief cover letter explaining why you want to work at Orchard Nursery as well as your top 5 favorite plants. Please also attach your Resume. We look forward to hearing from you!
Nursery Retail Sales - Armstrong Garden Centers, Claremont, Santa Monica, Carlsbad, San Juan Capistrano
Job Title: Nursery Retail Sales
Location: Claremont, Santa Monica, Carlsbad, San Juan Capistrano
Pay Rate: $12.50-$18.00
Responsibilities:Armstrong Garden Centers is looking to add knowledgeable and service-oriented associates to our winning team. We are currently looking for full-time sales associates with previous retail nursery experience or horticultural training who are excited at the opportunity to share their knowledge with our great customers. As an employee-owned company, we take pride in our world-class customer service, excellent benefits, and our beautiful outdoor working environment.
Required Skills: Applicants should have previous retail nursery work and/or previous horticultural training. Our ideal applicant possesses superior customer service skills and looks forward to working outdoors.
Job Type: Full-time
Required education: High school or equivalent
Retail Sales: 1 year
Nursery Sales: 1 year
Horticulture: 1 year
Application Mode: Email your resume and cover letter to Gina Jacoy, email@example.com
Application Deadline: 1/31/2017
Production Management/Logistics Management - Villages Nurseries, Sacramento
Village Nurseries Sacramento is a 250-acre farm that grows trees and shrubs for contractors and retail chain stores. We have our own fleet of trucks that delivers the products directly to our customers. We are seeking a quality manager who can oversee all operations from assembling to shipping orders for our customers. The ideal candidate has strengths in lean manufacturing or Kaizen, team building, shipping, manufacturing (planning and organizing). Spanish language abilities are preferred but not required. This is a key position in our company that can lead to growth and excellent career opportunities in our organization.
Compensation: Base annual salary of $50,000 or more (depending on experience) with bonus, incentives, vacation, sick leave, holidays, medical/dental benefits, and 401(k) plan.
Interested parties should email resume to Mark Marriott at firstname.lastname@example.org
About Us: Village Nurseries is a leader in our industry. We have over 800 acres of growing grounds throughout California. We ship our products to developers, contractors and retail chain stores in California, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, New Mexico, Texas and Colorado. More information available at www.villagenurseries.com
Devil Mountain Wholesale Nursery
Since 1995, Devil Mountain Wholesale Nursery has provided its professional customers with access to more plant varieties on hand than any other wholesale nursery in the San Francisco Bay Area. We pride ourselves in having a knowledgeable sales staff, attention to quality material, and extensive delivery capacity throughout the Bay Area and surrounds.
In addition to our 20 acres in San Ramon, we grow on an additional 100+ acres near Lodi, California and our suppliers range from small specialty growers to the largest in the nation. Our buyers travel to quality growers throughout the country to procure the most exceptional plants and ensure the finest quality and selection is available here to customers. We will soon open 2 new Landscape Centers to better service the greater San Francisco Bay Area -- one in Petaluma (North Bay) and one in Morgan Hill (South Bay)
Now Hiring for the Following Positions:
COMMERCIAL LANDSCAPE CENTER MANAGER:
Responsible for all activities associated with the Commercial Landscape Center, including the related site administration, staffing, scheduling, invoicing, customer service, inventory stocking, merchandising, facility layout, and product organization. Responsibilities include all related landscape center and will-call activities, including the effective management of all landscape center personnel; training and implementation of competent and professional personnel; implementing effective, responsive, and professional sales transactions; and landscape center inventory management and organization. Effectively staffs and directs a competent and respected sales team and provides leadership towards the achievement of maximum profitability and growth in line with company visions, values, and budgets. Establishes plans and strategies to produce the highest possible customer service and workplace standards, product quality, merchandising, and facility appearance. Contributes to the development of training and educational programs for personnel and strives for the highest possible professionalism and business standards. Click here
for complete job description.
ASSISTANT COMMERCIAL LANDSCAPE CENTER MANAGER:
Under the direction, or in the absence, of the Commercial Landscape Center Manager, the assistant is responsible for all activities associated with the Commercial Landscape Center Sales, including the related site administration, staffing, scheduling, invoicing, customer service, inventory stocking, merchandising, facility layout, and product organization. Responsibilities include all related landscape center and will-call activities, including the effective management of all landscape center personnel; training and implementation of competent and professional personnel; implementing effective, responsive, and professional sales transactions; and landscape center inventory management and organization. Effectively staffs and directs a competent and respected sales team and provides leadership towards the achievement of maximum profitability and growth in line with company visions, values, and budgets. Establishes plans and strategies to produce the highest possible customer service and workplace standards, product quality, merchandising, and facility appearance. Contributes to the development of training and educational programs for personnel and strives for the highest possible professionalism and business standards. Click here
for complete job description.
DIRECTOR OF SALES:
Responsible for the development and performance of all designated sales staff and activities, will include sales oversight as specified for Commercial Landscape Center / will-call activities. Effectively staffs and directs a respected sales team and provides leadership towards the achievement of maximum profitability and growth in line with company visions, values, and budgets. Establishes plans and strategies to expand our customer base, contributes to sales development and marketing programs, including training and educational programs for clients and Sales Representatives. Click here
for complete job description.
IN-SIDE SALES REPRESENTATIVE:
Responsible for the executing counter sales, phone orders, development, and fulfillment for product & client sales activities. The position will serve specifically as a front line sales representative to clients and will-call customers. Effectively assists in and is responsible for implementing sales, pricing orders as directed by company, inventory availability, processing orders, and effectively sells product. Activities shall include processing paperwork, arranging delivery, and order fulfillment. Assists in answering inbound calls including taking messages, and performing other duties as assigned by management. Must have product knowledge and is familiar with product availability, and may sell all products offered by the business. Click here
for complete job description.
FOR EMPLOYMENT CONTACT:
Jon Ewing (858) 229-9893; email@example.com Tom Ewing (619) 517-0100; firstname.lastname@example.org
Sales Lead Nursery – Orchard Supply Hardware, Millbrae, CA
Orchard Supply Hardware (OSH) is a leading regional home improvement retailer operating 80 full-service hardware and garden stores located throughout California and in Portland, Oregon and headquartered in San Jose, California. Orchard stores offer a comprehensive selection of hardware, lawn and garden, and specialty products. The company has a rich heritage and was founded in 1931 as a farmers' cooperative in the Santa Clara Valley offering supplies to local growers. Over subsequent years, the company focused on the retail customer, the do it yourself customer. It became known for offering a strong in-stock position, high customer service, and a broad assortment even though it did not offer building commodities (such as lumber).
In September 2013, Lowe’s Companies acquired Orchard with the intent on positioning Orchard as America’s Neighborhood Hardware Store. In 2016, Orchard will continue to expand within California as well as in a new market, the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area. Lowe’s will operate the business as a stand-alone entity which will continue to be based in San Jose, California.
We are looking for individuals that enjoy working with plants and offering solutions to people that are trying to take their yards from ordinary to extraordinary. The ideal candidate for Nursery Sales Lead is inquisitive, energetic, has a desire to learn, and most importantly has a passion to serve customers. What does passion to serve mean at Orchard? It’s pretty simple; Sales Leads need to engage with all of our customers, get an understanding of their needs and do everything possible to ensure they leave totally satisfied with their shopping experience. With that a successful Nursery Sales Lead will have customers returning for expert advice for their future gardening needs
- Provide fast, friendly service by actively seeking out customers to assess their needs and provide assistance.
- Ensure the Nursery Department is appropriately stocked and merchandised at all times. This includes ensuring all plants are receiving the appropriate care and maintenance to minimize product markdowns and returns. Works with suppliers on ordering the appropriate amount of inventory and product mix.
- In-store expert on nursery product knowledge to be able to answer customer questions. Provides product features and benefits, and build an understanding of related products to be able to sell a solution to the customer.
- Mentor to the Nursery department Sales Associates regarding product knowledge and selling techniques of nursery products.
- Assist in other areas of the store as required. There are no boundaries when providing customer service.
- Prepare for and assist with store inventory
- AA degree a plus
- 2-3 years of Nursery experience
- Previous retail experience
- Previous experience leading/managing others
- Excellent communication skills; verbal, written, listening
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to supervisor and oversee a team
- Ability to prioritize and manage time effectively
- Must complete Orchard's Certification Specialist Program within 30 days
- Ability to work in stressful situation
- Professional approach
Millbrae application: https://rn11.ultipro.com/ORC1000/jobboard/NewCandidateExt.aspx?__JobID=2756
Apply online to any of our stores: www.osh.com/careers
Sloat Garden Center -- Marin & San Francisco
Sloat Garden Center is hiring nursery professionals to fill openings at our stores in San Francisco and Marin. California Certified Nurserypersons have the advantage of experience and knowledge which dictates a higher starting wage than their peers. In addition, Sloat Garden Center pays a yearly bonus of $1200 dollars if the CCNP status is maintained. Further, we will pay your yearly registration. The CCNP status qualifies the candidate for buying positions within the store as well as more responsibility than a regular Nurseryperson. Sloat Garden Center generally promotes from within to management and assistant manager positions. Other full time benefits include:
- A very generous employee discount
- Medical and Dental Insurance
- 3 paid holidays and paid birthday off
- Vacation and sick leave
- Reimbursement of various fees for continuing horticultural studies
Sloat Garden Center encourages our team members to utilize their creativity for display and merchandising while giving them the autonomy to so. So, while the job of a certified nurseryperson is physically demanding, it is also creatively rewarding. You must have the ability to stand or walk for long periods of time and in all types of weather. You must be able to lift up to 50 pounds repetitively. Weekend availability is a must. A clean driving record and current license is beneficial. Math sufficient to operate a cash register, handle money, and use a calculator is essential.
Interested parties are invited to apply directly at the store.
An application can be downloaded here
A list of locations now hiring can be found here